top of page

How to Beat the Forgetting Curve

Updated: Jan 26, 2023

The Forgetting Curve, or the Ebbinghaus Curve of Forgetting, is an influential memory model. It shows how learned information slips out of our memories over time – unless we take action to keep it there.

German psychologist Hermann Ebbinghaus studied the speed at which people lose knowledge. The "Forgetting Curve" essentially proves that people tend to continually halve their memory of newly learned knowledge in a matter of days or weeks unless they actively review the learned material.


As a general rule, the forgetting curve tells us that in about 1 day you forget about 70% of the information you have read or heard. The remaining 30% are forgotten at a slower ratesome studies show that in about 31 days you will remember only 4 % of what you have learned and others show this number to be about 20%.




Being aware of effective strategies can help one avoid the unnecessary stress that comes with studying for exams.


•Schools can increase memory in students by providing them with a stimulating learning environment.

• Games and quizzes are an effective way to engage children in the revision process while strengthening their memories and practising recall without realising it.

• Memory is enhanced through active engagement such as discussion and problem-solving activities, as well as techniques like mnemonics, visualisation, and spaced repetition.

• Recall is improved when learners create meaningful connections between concepts they are studying.

• Refreshing information regularly helps pupils beat the forgetting curve so they can be successful on exam day.


Our Study and Exam Techniques course begins in early February. This is for students who care about their results and have asked for support. If this describes your child, you are ready to contact us. We offer a free, no-obligation 20-minute consultation. Contact us here.

Комментарии


bottom of page